Monday 10 September 2012

The Healing Power of Bushcraft

  Adaptability, positive mental attitude, and the ability to heal yourself under stressful circumstances are key skills practiced in bushcraft and survival training.  Once learned, you quickly realize that these are not just applicable in the wilderness.  Normal, everyday life is filled with moments which seem unsurmountable and struggles that can overwhelm.  Practicing this mindset can help get you through them. 

  When I first became interested in wilderness living, I was going through a rough time, and was severly lacking self-confidence. I had forgotten those valuable skills.  Bushcraft was the reminder I needed, and it provided the perfect opportunity to practice them. It also provided me with a refresher on life philosophy.

  For every new skill I learned, I felt stronger and increased my self-confidence. Shelter building reminded me to be adaptable and find new ways of using what I have.  Firecraft taught me that patience is needed when working toward my goals. Cooking meals over those fires showed me that things require preparation, attention and perserverance to turn into something great. And learning about edible and medicinal plants taught me that often, everything I need is right around me...I just have to take the time to look.

Jewelweed

  When life's stresses mount, I notice an increase in the ever-present urge to practice my wilderness living skills.  I'm sure part of it is the simplicity...the need to get back to something basic.  But I also think it's my subconcious' way of reminding me to put those skills into play.  To adapt, be positive, and heal myself.   And to slow down and take the time to get it right.



"Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living.” ~ Jose N. Harris
 
 
BG

2 comments:

  1. <3

    we have been graced by James' presence here, on a regular basis. Being with people who share the same mindset, even out of that element, reminds me of that lovely simplicity.

    hope you are well

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear that you have been spending time together! It really is nice to have like-minded people around to share thoughts and ideas with, even when you can't get out there. The only down side is...when you work together, it can be really difficult to stay focused some days! ;o)

    ReplyDelete