Monday 30 July 2012

DD Travel Hammock aka The Joy of Hammock Camping

     As a budding Bushcrafter/Wilderness Girl on a budget, I've been slow to accumulate my own gear, and incredibly grateful to friends who have been willing to loan me theirs, or even better, give me their starter gear when they upgraded. 

Hennessy Expedition Hammock
    It was in this manner that I was able to experience hammock camping for the first time. I was sceptical at first, but once I tried it, there was no turning back. It felt wonderful  to be off the ground and take the pressure off my joints.  I'm loathe to admit it, but I do have a touch of arthritis that just does not appreciate waking up on the cool, damp ground, no matter how comfortable I make my bed. I would wake up stiff and sore each morning.  Not so in the hammock.  But since I was starting to get less than subtle hints that perhaps my friend would appreciate being able to sleep in his own hammock, it was time to start researching and find one that would work best for me. It's amazing how helpful technology can be to a wilderness experience. 

   My first internet destination was Hennessy, since I had been using the Expedition version of this brand.  I loved the surprisingly roomy interior of this model, but I was less than pleased with the enter/exit process.  There are no zippers, but rather, a self-closing slit in one end of the bottom, where you crawl in and out.  Entering involves shifting your sleeping bag and pad out of the way, then back in place once you are in. The exit process involves a similar annoyance, and feels rather like being birthed from a hippo. Or at least what I would imagine it to be like.  Only less messy. 


      Hennessy also has a zip version of the Expedition, and I considered it for purchase.  But, being a person that enjoys experiencing new things, I decided to explore my options.  An internet search for camping hammocks turned up several sites, but I kept being drawn back to DD Hammocks, a UK based company.  They have several different models, but there were two clear choices for me: the Travel or the Frontline.  Both hammocks feature fine mesh mosquito netting with zippers on each side for easy entrance/exit and the ability to tie it up when it's not needed. They are almost 9 ft long, and weigh around 2 lbs.  The difference lies in the material.  The Frontline features a soft, breathable, polyester bottom; ideal for warm weather camping.  The Travel features a waterproof bottom (adding a few ounces to the weight) so it can be used directly on the ground as a bivy.  A double base layer on both hammocks provides space for a foam pad for comfort and insulation. 

Pure Bliss
     I decided to go with the Travel version for it's versatility.  After purchasing it from my favourite Canadian gear provider, TrueNorth Bushcraft , I was anxious to test it out.  In fact, I had it in my back yard as soon as it was delivered. I must admit, I was a little confused by the set-up at first, since it doesn't come with instructions.  But some online research, combined with experimentation and input from an experienced hammock camper, provided some great results and I was soon enjoying the comfort of my labour.  That was all well and good, but I knew the real test was yet to come.  The buggy extended camp mentioned in the previous posts. 

    I confess to having help with set-up.  When I arrived at camp it was quite late in the evening, and for the sake of expediting the process so I wouldn't get eaten alive, again I was grateful to have an experienced hammock camper's assistance.  When it was time to settle in for the night, I was amazed with how easy it was to get in and out.  Simply unzip, sit, swing your legs around, and zip up.  Preferably with some speed to decrease the amount of tiny vampires which enter with you.  The width felt lacking when compared with the Hennessy, however there was plenty of length, and the raised mosquito netting made it feel quite roomy.  And with 2 pockets sewn in the base, and loops in the mesh, I had no trouble finding a place for glasses, headlamp, etc.  After spending the night in it, the biggest thing I noticed was that the foam pad stayed firmly in place between the two layers, which made shifting positions during the night much easier.  And the waterproof double layer was impossible for the mosquitoes to bite through, even if I did have a leg off the mat.  The only negative I found was that the netting seemed to cave in on me over the night, but that was fixed by simply adding tension to the cord that held it up. 

DD Travel Hammock


    After spending a few nights in my DD, and making minor adjustments, I felt I was ready to make a fair assessment.  With comparison in mind,  I traded hammocks to make sure the Hennessy experience was fresh in my mind as well.  I groaned at the usual entrance ordeal.  I complained at the effort to adjust the foam pad.  And I grumbled at the effort to get in my sleeping bag.  But once settled, I had to admit that the width of the Hennessy did leave room to luxuriously stretch out.  As long as I stayed on the mat. While the soft polyester felt much nicer against my skin than the waterproof base in mine,  it left me vulnerable to attack from outside forces.  Mosquitoes found the weak spot and attack en mass as I slept. And since I kept sliding down and the pad kept shifting during the night, they had quite a feast. 

DD Travel Hammock and Hennessy Expedition
 I was happy to trade back.  As comfortable as I had always found the Hennessy before, by comparison, the DD Hammock is definitely the right choice for me.  But it's not for everyone, and the Hennessy definitely has it's advantages.  The quality of the stitching is noticeably higher in the Hennessy, and that could make a huge difference in longevity.  The breathable polyester material was much more comfortable (the DD feels a little clammy on a humid night). And the diamond shape base makes it much more comfortable for diagonal sleeping and a true hammock camping experience.  By comparison the DD felt more like a bed, rigid and straight, but everything...including myself...stayed where it was supposed to. In the end, it's all up to personal preference.  My friend still loves his Hennessy.  I prefer the DD.  We're both comfortable, and that's the main thing.

  If you've never tried hammock camping, I highly suggest you give it a go. Unless you suffer severely from motion sickness (you will rock for a few moments after getting in or shifting position), you'll likely find it to be the most comfortable sleep you've ever had in the woods.  Normally I long for the comfort of my own bed after an extended camp.  But after the first night of sleeping in my own bed, I woke up confused, wondering why my hammock was feeling so uncomfortable.  That, my friends, is the best endorsement I can give to hammock camping.

    I'll be heading out for an overnight this weekend with some close friends.  It's in a campground, so I seriously considered taking my tent.  My big, bulky tent, that takes half an hour to set up and then I still have to set up the bed which may or may not be comfortable, depending on the terrain.  Or I can take the hammock, be set up in 15 minutes, and know that I will sleep comfortably through the night.  Hmmm...yeah.  Tough decision.  ;o)


BG



2 comments:

  1. What about temperatures? I ordered the DD hammock yesterday and I'm a little worried that I'll sweat like a monkey throughout the hot days of Spain and South America. Will sleeping bag help in this regard?

    Nice review, by the way.

    Kind regards,
    Renārs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Renārs,

      Since the material on the bottom is not breathable, it was a bit clammy in the hammock on warm and humid nights. I did find that a sleeping bag undeneath me helped a lot, and the cotton liner alone made a big difference. For me, it was worth being a little warmer to have the extra bug protection.

      I hope it works out for you!

      Take care,
      Tammie

      Delete